There comes a time, in every girl’s life, where she is asked to say a speech at her best friends wedding. This, was me, last Friday.
I’ve actually only been to four weddings in my life, and I hate public speaking, so this was going to be a challenge for me. C
Luckily, I was 1 of 2
Where do you even start, when writing your maid of honor speech? I googled every wedding website and blog possible and this is what I found.
Maid of Honor Speech Guideline
- Start off by thanking the bride and groom for having you. It is, after all, their big day.
- Next, you want to introduce yourself. Our opening line was “For those of you who don’t know us, our names are…, and we are the maid of honors and best friends of the bride.
- After your introduction, speak about the bride. How long have you known her for? When did you become friends? If you have a funny story, share it! As I previously mentioned, I am not the best at speeches, so I wasn’t going to make a joke in front of 180 guests. I was so worried that the punch line would be flat. FAIL.
- Talk to the groom. In our speech, we talked about when we met him, our first impressions, and why we think that they are perfect for each other.
- Lastly, speak to the couple as one and wish them the best in this next chapter of their lives.
- Close with a toast. “So with that being said, if everyone could please raise their glass. We’d like to propose a toast to the new Mr. and Mrs
….Here’s to love, laughter and happily ever after.”
I hope these tips help you, the next time you’re asked to speak at a wedding! In all honesty, I thought I would be a lot more nervous than I was. I think having my gal pal with me, and being a few drinks in helped.