There comes a time, in every girl’s life, where she is asked to say a speech at her best friends wedding. This, was me, last Friday.
I’ve actually only been to four weddings in my life, and I hate public speaking, so this was going to be a challenge for me. C
Luckily, I was 1 of 2
Where do you even start, when writing your maid of honor speech? I googled every wedding website and blog possible and this is what I found.
Maid of Honor Speech Guideline
- Start off by thanking the bride and groom for having you. It is, after all, their big day.
- Next, you want to introduce yourself. Our opening line was “For those of you who don’t know us, our names are…, and we are the maid of honors and best friends of the bride.
- After your introduction, speak about the bride. How long have you known her for? When did you become friends? If you have a funny story, share it! As I previously mentioned, I am not the best at speeches, so I wasn’t going to make a joke in front of 180 guests. I was so worried that the punch line would be flat. FAIL.
- Talk to the groom. In our speech, we talked about when we met him, our first impressions, and why we think that they are perfect for each other.
- Lastly, speak to the couple as one and wish them the best in this next chapter of their lives.
- Close with a toast. “So with that being said, if everyone could please raise their glass. We’d like to propose a toast to the new Mr. and Mrs
….Here’s to love, laughter and happily ever after.”
I hope these tips help you, the next time you’re asked to speak at a wedding! In all honesty, I thought I would be a lot more nervous than I was. I think having my gal pal with me, and being a few drinks in helped.
And it was such a beautiful speech!!! You did amazing! Thank you so much! <3333
Yay! Thank you! I’m glad you liked it!! Xo
This is Beautiful Tandya! You three are amazing people. Im proud of you all. xoxo
Thank you so much Janet! Xoxo
Love this and your speech turned out great!
Yay! Thank you so much!! :))
So Beautiful Speech Darling:)
You 3 are so Sweet:) Loved this sooo much:)
Love Kisses Karina
Thank you! Xo
What a stunning picture!! Loved the colors.
I’m glad that everything turned out to pretty. Beautiful speech!
Writing a speech as a maid of honor is so nerve wracking. I had to do it several times and your guidelines are perfect. It is such an important day and speech and you want to make sure you address both the bride and groom even though you are closer with the bride. This wedding looked amazing and so beautiful!
Christine | http://dailykongfidence.com/
Yes, I couldn’t agree with you more! Thank you so much! Xo
Thank you for sharing these amazing tips! I enjoyed reading your post and also the beautiful picture.
Thank you so much for such useful article.
I’ve never experienced writing a maid of honor speech.
I’ll probably have a few weddings soon, will use your tips.