Everything You Need to Know to Find On-Trend Matching Sets
Looking for trendy matching sets? We have all you need to know in this guide.
Main image courtesy of Shopbop.
If you’ve ever been stuck on what to wear for a certain occasion, you’re not alone. There are all kinds of options out there, depending on whether you need a casual outfit, something to lounge in, or fancier clothes for a more elegant event. One of the most versatile items that you can wear for a variety of occasions is a matching set. Matching sets are very trendy at the moment, and you can find them in all kinds of colors and materials from a variety of high end designers, as well as sets that are more budget-friendly.
But where do you find cute matching sets that are on trend, and how do you style them? In today’s article we’re going a little deeper into this topic and covering:
- Where to buy matching sets
- How to wear matching sets
- Our top matching sets your closet needs right now
Where can you buy matching sets?
You have options if you want to snag some amazing matching sets!
If you want to pick up one of the hottest trends this season (matching sets!) you’re in luck because there are lots of places where you can grab them. One of the best sites for all things trendy and fashionable is Shopbop, which features popular designer brands like Veronica Beard, Reformation, STAUD, Alice + Olivia, Mansur Gavriel, and too many more to mention. Here you’ll find a wide selection of matching sets at different price points that are sure to be within your budget. Their inventory is always being updated, so if you don’t see exactly what you’re looking for, keep checking back!
You can also find matching sets for any occasion at a variety of modish women’s wear websites like Revolve, Net a Porter, Mytheresa, and Moda Operandi. Classic department stores like Nordstrom, Saks Fifth Avenue, and Bloomingdales are also likely to have matching sets, depending on the season. If you don’t feel like paying full price for a cute set, try consignment shopping at Poshmark, eBay, or ThredUp which will have a lot of sets at a discounted price.
How to wear matching sets
Matching sets are popular for a reason—there are all kinds of ways to wear them!
- Blouse and skirt matching set. We love a good blouse and skirt matching set, because it gives you the beautiful silhouette of a dress, with the versatility of a matching set! Wear the set together cinched with a belt, or separate the two pieces and wear with other items. You can wear the shirt tucked into jeans or cords for a casual look, or pair the skirt with a tee or a blouse in a neutral color for an easy breezy look.
- Shorts and top matching set. Shorts and a button up shirt matching set is popular for summer, because it gives a cool sophistication to your look with minimal effort. Wear the pieces together paired with sandals or sneakers for a comfortable outfit. Or style the top with your favorite pair of jeans or denim shorts for a look that just screams on trend. You can also pair the shorts with a tucked in tank or crop top for a cute look that is perfect for the long days of summer.
- Denim shirt and skirt matching set. Denim with denim is definitely in, and if you score yourself a denim matching set, or just create one of your own, you know you have lots of ways to wear it. A denim shirt paired with a long denim skirt is perfect for more casual occasions, but you can also split the matching set up and get creative! An oversized denim shirt would look great with a pair of leggings or even a pair of white or khaki colored shirts. You can use the denim skirt with a tank top or a sweater, depending on the temperature, proving that this matching set knows no season!
- Pants and top matching set. Business-like suits aren’t the only matching tops and bottoms you can wear! A matching top and pants is a great way to bring this trendy look into a more professional environment. Monochromatic colors will work well with this set, and give off an effortlessly stylish look, with minimal fuss. The top can be worn with another neutral color pair of pants or skirt, and the pants would be easy to match with any blouse or sweater already in your closet.
If you’re looking for an easy way to extend your wardrobe, matching sets are the way to go. You can always wear them together on one day, and then pair them with another article of clothing the next. They’re perfect whether you want to stretch your fashion budget, or limit the amount of clothes you own altogether.
Matching workout sets
Pick up this matching set when you’re ready to break a sweat!
Look good while you work out. Image courtesy of Shopbop.
If you’re ready to get active, you’ve got to have the right apparel, and a matching workout set is a must have. This gorgeous Lunar Teal Heather workout tank and leggings is by Beyond Yoga, and you’ll be beyond pleased with how comfortable it is. Made with a midweight, soft activewear jersey, you’ll be reaching for this set whether it’s leg day, or time to hit the treadmill. The top features a scoop neck front and racerback, and includes a built-in bra shelf. The moisture wicking material means you can sweat all day in this and still feel comfortable.
The leggings are made of the same moisture wicking, soft material, and come with a double layered waistband and feature medium compression. The four way stretch ensures these leggings will fit you like a glove, and you can say goodbye to constantly pulling the waistband up.
Snag both of these Beyond Yoga items now at Shopbop!
Matching daywear sets
Daytime fun is the perfect opportunity to wear a cute matching set!
This casual (but cute) matching set is a must-have. Image courtesy of Shopbop.
What’s better than a denim matching set? A coffee-colored denim hoodie and skirt set! If you have a casual day planned, there’s nothing more comfortable than this go-to combo. The top is made from midweight, low stretch denim canvas, and features a hooded neckline, long sleeves, and cute ribbed edges. This is the hoodie you’ll be reaching for all the time, no matter if you’re rocking it with the matching skirt, or with your favorite comfy pants.
The matching A-line skirt is made from the same midweight denim, and comes in a trendy midi length that hits right below the knee at mid calf. This comfortable skirt has a slit at the front and the back, an optional buckle belt, hook and eye closure, and five pocket styling.
This floral and feminine matching set is perfect for the day time. Image courtesy of Shopbop.
Another great matching daywear set is this floral set by Hill House Home. Wear this to a fun brunch meetup, or when you’re out exploring something new in your town on the weekends! This beautiful blouse is made of lightweight non-stretch crepe and features a collared neck, button placket, long sleeves, and button cuffs. You can wear this shirt tucked in, or wear it out and show off the curved hem.
The pants are also a light non-stretch crepe, with a smocked elastic panel on the back waist. The floral pattern is very on point and feminine. Whether you wear this as a set, or separate the pieces out, you’re going to get lots of wear with these items!
Dressy matching sets
Wear these sets when you need to elevate your look
This matching set is perfect for the office. Image courtesy of Shopbop.
Need a dressy matching set that would be perfect for work or another professional event? Then you can’t go wrong with this Favorite Daughter blazer and skirt set. This blazer features peaked lapels and a stylish double breasted button placket. The sleeves end with button cuffs, and you’ll love the padded shoulders, flap front pockets, and welt breast pocket. With a toffee colored houndstooth pattern, you’ll definitely stand out from the typically black and white dress attire.
The matching skirt features the same houndstooth pattern and hits at the mid thigh. Made of brushed suiting material, this skirt closes with a hook and eye with a hidden zipper at the side.
The perfect matching set for a fancy dinner! Image courtesy of Shopbop.
Have a date night or other special occasion you’re celebrating? Then make sure you pick up this vibrant Culthera matching set. This flowy outfit is made of lightweight non-stretch voile, and the top features a V neckline with criss cross shoulder straps. The skirt is made of the same voile, and features a wrap style with a tie closure, as well as a snap to secure it in place. The tropical print is a lovely touch, and this set will feel at home on vacation, or when you’re attending events closer to home.
Which on-trend matching set needs to be in your closet?
Matching sets are so versatile, and give you a lot of freedom to express your own personal style. Which one will you pick up?