Hello my old friend, so we meet again. That old friend you ask? The one that puts me in an absolute creative rut! We’ve all been there. Those times where you feel completely uninspired, you’re not loving the work your putting out there, and you just feel stuck!
I get this feeling every so often. Maybe once every 4 to 6 months. Being in the creative field, you’re constantly putting your work out there and sometimes it gets sooo repetitive.
Creative ruts are frustrating, but I have found a few things that have helped me, and I hope these can help you as well!
10 Ways to Get out of a Creative Rut
- Go Back to the Basics – Think about when you first started creating. What did you love about it? Why did you start? My blog and brand started primarily as a fashion blog, let’s go back to that, more FASHUN.
- Get Inspired Again – When I’m feeling uninspired, I like to hit up local museums. There’s something so inspiring about them. The statues, modern, contemporary and renaissance art, and the stunning ceramic art. I CAN’T EVEN! Heading to the Getty ASAP.
- Take a Mini Break – Sometimes you need to take a little break to get back on track. Take that break!
- Just Start – This is the hardest part but at the end of the day, you can’t take too long of a break. Get back out there. Start creating again, baby steps.
- Channel Your Creativity Elsewhere – Do you have another passion? For me it’s photography. Channeling that outlet can inspire you to get back on the right track.
- Travel – Traveling is the absolute BEST way for me to get out of a creative rut. I feel that I produce the best content while traveling. Sometimes you need a different environment to get your mojo back.
- Get Ideas from Pinterest – I have been turning to Pinterest a lot lately. I have so many mood boards on photos that I want to recreate, places I want to travel to, and home goals.
- Get Out of the Office – Getting out of the office is sometimes good for the soul. Do you have a boat? Maybe work from your boat for a few days. If you’re like me and you don’t have a boat, go down to the beach and work from there. I have had quite a few work beach days this Summer.
- Work Out/ Meditate – Working out and meditating are great ways to clear your mind and focus on your creativity.
- Clean Your Workspace – A clear mind needs a clear space. Clean your workspace.
& that’s that. I hope these tips help you get out of your creative rut! At the end of the day, you’re a creative! You love what you do and your work inspires others!